Wednesday, April 4, 2012

BBQ chicken Sandwich !!!



Continuing from where I left off in my last post,  I'm going to show you what I did with my freshly deboned leg quarter. The plan was to make a quick and easy chicken sandwich and let me tell you, not only was it extremely cheap to make, it was pretty damn tasty too! 




 Here I've got my deboned chicken. You can see how, if done properly, the skin will be nicely intact after deboning. I like to make a few slits in the meat to even out the thickness and allow for more even cooking. 




I also make slits on the skin side. When I crisp up all that delicious chicken skin, it helps to reduce the amount the skin will contract and helps to keep the meat nice and flat and even. After seasoning liberally with fresh cracked pepper, salt, and adobo (my personal favorite all purpose seasoning) the chicken goes into a preheated cast iron pan, lubed up with about a 1Tsp of bacon drippings, skin side first.




Cook over medium heat until the skin is crispy, golden brown, and delicious. Don't mess with it! Lifting a corner now and then to check on the browning progress is fine, but don't go moving it all over the pan. Just let it do its thing and it should only need to be turned once. 




Once both sides are nicely browned and the chicken is cooked through, it should be transferred to a draining rack to rest and allow extra fat to drain. While the chicken was resting, I took advantage of the residual heat and sprinkled it with some finely shredded medium sharp cheddar cheese so it could get nicely melted. 




Here are the basic components of my sandwich. My pan seared chicken leg quarter with melted cheddar cheese, some multi-grain whole wheat bread, sriracha hot sauce (AKA rooster sauce), and a small sample sized  container of BBQ sauce. I would've liked to have added some lettuce for crunch and temperature contrast but I didn't have any, so I didn't. 





Here's the finished sandwich! Great chicken flavor mixed with the cheese and tangy bbq sauce and all that goodness is brought together with the with little hints of spice from the sriracha and the flavor of the hearty bread it's all wrapped in.

COST BREAKDOWN:
Chicken - 0.91lbs @ $.89lb =$0.81
Cheddar cheese - 1oz @ $4/lb = $0.25
Bread - 2 slices @ $4.39/ loaf  =$0.53 
Sriracha sauce -1tsp @ $3.29/bottle = $0.02
BBQ sauce sampler = free
Total = $1.61

I hope you all enjoyed my first recipe post. Still just getting started, so any suggestions and constructive criticisms are welcome! Thanks for reading and please don't forget to comment and share!  

1 comment: